City of San Juan Bautista

City of San Juan Bautista

 

 

Home
The City

 

City Council
  City Clerk
  Municipal Code
  City Treasurer
  Commissions, Boards, Committees
  Press Releases
  City Hall Staff
  Forms
  Public Works
  City Engineer
  Planning
  Building
  Code Enforcement
  Library
  Fire
  Sheriff
History
Calendar of Events
Visiting San Juan Bautista
  Map & Directions
  Points of Interest
  Arts & Leisure
  Shopping, Food, Lodging
  Photos of Ol' San Juan
  Special Event Facilities
Living in San Juan Bautista
  Local Organizations
  Schools
  Services
Chamber of Commerce
Contact

Local Weather
Learn About...
Historical Society
History Related Websites
Historic San Juan Bautista Plan
History of the San Juan Area:
  The Mutsun
  The Mission
  San Juan de Castro
  The Gavilan Peak Affair
  Castro House Today

  El Camino Real
  Plaza Stable
  Plaza Hall
  Tiburcio Vasquez
  The Sanchez File

The Mission
The buildings that face San Juan Bautista's central plaza represent several periods of California history. The mission, founded in 1797, is the oldest; it was located here by Padre Fermin Francisco de Lasuen because there were many Indians in the area, and because it was about a day's walk from either Mission Santa Clara or Mission San Carlos Borromeo at Carmel. Excellent soil and a good water supply, as well as timber, rock and other building materials were available nearby.

At one time some 1,200 Indians lived and worked at this mission, and more than 4,300 Indians are buried in the old cemetery beside the northeast wall of the mission church, along with a number of Spanish Californians. The church itself, the largest of its kind in California, was started in 1803 and, despite damage from numerous earthquakes, has been in continuous use since July 1, 1812. The altar wall was painted by Thomas Doak, a sailor who left his ship and is said to have been the first U.S. citizen to settle in Spanish California.

Today part of the mission can be toured, and historical artifacts and exhibits are on display. The buildings still belong to the Catholic Church and therefore are not, strictly speaking, part of San Juan Bautista State Historic Park. Small donations by visitors are used to offset the cost of keeping the mission open to the public. 

San Juan de Castro
After 1834 the town of San Juan, close beside the old mission, became known temporarily as San Juan de Castro. Jose Tiburcio Castro became the civil or secular administrator of the mission and, acting in accordance with the mission secularization decree issued that year, he divided up the mission property and auctioned it off to friends, neighbors and relatives.

Castro House was built in 1840-41 at the request of his son Jose Maria Castro, who had become prefect of the northern district. It was intended to serve as the judicial and administrative-headquarters of a district that included the entire northern half of Alta California. However, Jose Maria Castro was unable to spend much time there. After 1840, when he was cleared of charges of treason arising from an 1836 military revolt he led against Governor Juan Guttierrez, his military responsibilities required him to travel extensively.

In 1843, San Juan once again became the rallying point for a military revolt, as Castrol organized friends and family into the force that overthrew and deported Governor Micheltorena. Later, he became commanding general of Mexican military forces in California, preoccupied with the threat of foreign invasion and with the many other problems caused by the flood of immigrants beginning to arrive in California.

Continue Reading >>

© 2008 City of San Juan Bautista.  All Right Reserved.